This room came from the Hôtel de Crillon, at No. 10 on the north end of Place de la Concorde, Paris, an early essay in the Neoclassical style built between 1755 and 1775 after designs by the architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel. The hotel, one of the oldest luxury hotels in the world, reflects total opulence.
Louis-Marie-Augustin, duc d'Aumont, a well-known collector of the period, lived in the Hôtel de Crillon from 1777 to 1782. He commissioned architect Pierre-Adrien Pâris to design the painted boiserie and it was executed by an unknown artist between 1777 and 1780.
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Room from the Hôtel de Crillon